It is that time of the year when we are plaqued by mosquitos here in Calgary. And with the amount of rain and standing water we have, there will be lots of mosquitos around! So what can we do if we don’t want to use the traditional toxic sprays containing DEET, luckily there are options.
- Calendula ointment is an excellent insect repellent and counterirritant. Tea tree oil, Goldenseal, Cedar, and Eucalyptus are also options.
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine) repels mosquitos. Thus taking a thiamine supplement will naturally repel mosquitos and provide protection.
- Eating fish, brown rice, brewer’s yeast, blackstrap molasses, or wheat germ before going outside will help as these foods are rich in Vitamin B1. (Avoid all refined sugar, and alcoholic drinks as these will attract the mosquitos.)
Natural Products carried by Cambrian Pharmacy
- Buzz Away
- Deet free Insect Defend Patch
- Therra Neem spray
- Nature’s Essence Citronella + Lemongrass spray
- Druid citronella spray
- Natrapel citronella lotion
- Solvarome essential oil formula (very good and safe for kids)
What will help if I do get bites?
- Bromelain plus curcumin reduces inflammation, swelling and pain along with having anti-inflammatory properties.
- Grape seed extract is an effective anti-inflammatory and powerful antioxidant.
- Quercetin is a unique bioflavonoid that reduces allergic reactions.
- Vitamin C with bioflavonoids is an anti-inflammatory that is helpful for relieving the toxicity of bites.
- Taking a dose of the homeopathic Apis mellifica promptly after a bite works quickly to help prevent severe swelling and anaphylactic shock. Especially good for wasp or bee stings.
- Dab a paste of meat tenderizer and water directly onto the bite and leave for 30 minutes to draw the poison out.
- Calamine lotion helps to relieve the itching.
- Calendula is an excellent topical cream to apply to skin irritations also.
If you have any questions be sure to ask the staff at Cambrian Pharmacy and be safe and enjoy the outdoors naturally!
Mosquitos and Healthy Options to Manage.