The holidays are a time for family, friends, good food and memories. Unfortunately, it often becomes the season for stress and sickness. To keep your holiday season a joyful one, here are the top 5 tips to keep you healthy through the holidays.
- Wash hands frequently. Good old-fashioned soap and warm water are best. You can keep it festive with holiday soaps shaped like snowflakes, stars or Christmas trees. While hand-sanitizers can help you out in a pinch, take it easy on the anti-bacterial soaps, gels etc.
- Drink plenty of warm fluids. Herbal teas with elderberry, licorice, ginger and sage are wonderful for fighting off unwanted viruses. Be creative by adding holiday spices such as cinnamon and clove to your tea.
- Practice stress relief techniques daily. Breathe deeply and savour the scents of the holiday season. Go for walks outside and listen to the crunch of snow. Take a few moments for yourself so that you can truly enjoy the holidays.
- Eat well. Remember to consume lots of nutrient-rich, immune boosting foods such as whole fruits and vegetables as part of your holiday nosh.
- Sleep. Full-night sleeps are a critical part of your holiday regime. After all, Santa’s not likely to come if you’re still awake!
Stephanie Andrews, ND
Healthy Through The Holidays